"God put you in the right place"

It's been a busy month to say the least. The busiest we have been all year in one month and while I am grateful beyond belief to have so many families turn to our funeral home it has also been one of those months, "What the hell am I doing?!?" crossed my mind multiple times. When you go days on end without sleeping and normalcy you begin to question why you're doing what you're doing in the first place. I love my job and I love the people I meet but I do not love missing out on time with my son or going days on end feeling like I can't keep up with all of the chaos that's surrounding me. Did you know there's only so much information the human brain is capable of storing at one time? When that space is occupied everything else goes to the wayside. Usually it's my own sanity and the things I need to take care of myself but it has always been in the busiest and most chaotic times, I have found my reason and purpose in funeral service.

I had a funeral today for a 92 year old woman with 11 children.  To say it was a large immediate family is an understatement but I am very familiar with large families because of my own.  I knew from visitation the night before that the family was pleased with everything I had done so far but today, today I was told something I won't ever forget.  There are instances in my career when I have been praised or complimented and it touched my heart in such a way I will forever cherish.  One of the daughters of the deceased grabbed my hands and said, "God put you in the right place."  I was taken back by her words and couldn't help to replay them over and over again during the funeral.  Little does this woman know, I have questioned myself and my career countless times.  This family was specifically elated because I had given their mother a smile; something they had never witnessed after death.  It's a technique I learned in mortuary college and continue to use to give the deceased a more pleasant expression.  Why?  Because it gives comfort and makes the grieving feel more at ease seeing their loved one with a peaceful expression.  Everything I do is in preparation for the family to view for the last time.  I am in control of their very last memory and image and I only have once chance to get it right.  God indeed put me in the right place; I just needed to hear it.

Comments

Popular Posts