The day I held you tighter

One of the things about my profession is there are many instances where we deal with situations that are parallel to our own lives.  I think they are the more troubling cases and probably the most difficult to deal with when you feel as if you have some sort of link with them.

Case in point, several months ago I was having a casual conversation with two gentlemen from the Iowa Donor Network.  I had just moved into my own home around the same time and as we were talking and having a light conversation one of the gentlemen brings up a case they had not too long ago with a young toddler who had died being trapped between their bunk bed and the wall.  Wow, horrible right? 

I had just installed a bunk bed in my son's room, who happens to be 2 1/2.  I couldn't stop thinking about the possibility of something happening to him while he was asleep.  I remember looking at the bunk bed and thinking what kind of parent was I to think this would be fit for my child?!?

I debated taking the bunk bed down but since he loves it I decided I wouldn't let him sleep on the top bunk until he was much older.  This is just one instance of a parallel.  I can think of numerous other times where I thought, "this could be me," or "this could of been my _____."  All of these thoughts probably affect me more than I would ever be willing to admit.

I was recently "called out," on it.  I won't go into specifics but without even thinking it through, I held someone very close to me a little tighter because subconsciously I knew the parallel that existed between this person and a case I was working on.   I didn't even recognize I did this until it was pointed out to me.

I think for the rest of my life I will have days I hold the people I love a little tighter.  It's really a gift to have the opportunity to be able to; a subtle reminder to love while we can.

Comments

Popular Posts