First Call

When the phone rings
I am there
Whether I've had time to shower
Or even comb my hair

I could be lacing up my tennis shoes
For a day at the gym
Or snuggling my sweet boy
Before his sleep sets in

I answer promptly
But with a reassuring tone
Yes I will be there shortly
And then I hang-up the phone

The family ever so anxiously
Awaiting my arrival
Knowing I will soon
Take their beloved into my care

I walk into the room
The deceased surrounded by love
It's quiet but there's crying
I offer my condolences and hugs

I have nothing of matter to give
But everything to take
My face, one they will all remember
As I give them my name

Their faces are familiar
From distraught, disbelief and despair
To relief and it's a blessing,
Death has no bounds here

I work so eloquently and compassionately
Like playing an instrument,
I know the harmony
And every string

For I have learned the privilege
Of caring for the living and dead
It is a task that only those who have a gift
Are capable to complete

So I will answer when I'm called
Maybe even until my last breath
Because every person needs a lantern
When the journey of grief begins.





Comments

Popular Posts