My Calling


Some things in life we choose and some things in life choose us.  One of my favorite ministers I work with out of a little small town told me one time that she was a teacher for thirty-five years and how much she loved being a teacher but God had a different plan.  Despite her declination, God wanted her to become a minister.  Nearing the typical age of retirement; she began her journey into Theology.  She said, “Alyssa, I avoided becoming a minister as long as possible but it was my calling and it was God’s plan.”  Oh how I could relate.

 I did not choose my path, it was chosen for me by a higher power.  I knew throughout my childhood someday I wanted to help people.  I thought I wanted to become a teacher too or possibly a nurse.  Ideas spun around in my head; where would I attend college and what would I pursue after graduation?

 I had an opportunity, one that was easily accessible to me but not easily obtained.  When I was 16, I started working for my step-father and despite my declination and refusal; I could not overcome the feeling of this is something I can do…this is something I need to do.  It rang loud in my head and heart.  Little did I know then, I was gifted for my profession.  Everyone has talents, but to be talented in embalming…to be talented in dealing with death…the ceremonies and the conversations with those who grieve…it is not a talent I would have ever in my wildest dreams expected but it was indeed given to me.      
So here I am, 10 years later and using this gift on a daily basis I'm still trying to figure out and understand.  Here I am writing about it because it is how I cope, how I process and how I can better grasp what has been given to me.

Comments

Popular Posts